Health Tips for Friends and Family
- Have a light switch installed at the top and bottom of the stairs.
- Make certain that you have securely fastened railing on both sides of the stairs.
- Keep your stairs free of clutter.
- Make certain that carpeting on the stairs is well secured and free of tears or frayed edges.
- Make sure all telephone and electrical cords are out of the walkways.
- Remove magazines, newspapers, toys and other clutter from walkways.
- Have your vision and hearing tested regularly. The better your senses function, the better your ability to avoid falling.
- Keep nighttime temperatures in the home above 65 degrees Fahrenheit. A low body temperature can lead to dizziness as well as other health concerns.
- Limit or avoid the use of Alcohol.
- Keep walking devices within reach at your bedside.
- Remove throw rugs from the house.
- Be cautious with pets that may sleep on the stairs or bump into you while you are on the stairs.
- Wear proper footwear at all times.